“When Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke with tongues and prophesied,” Acts 19:6. The word prophesy means to bubble up. When the word comes into your heart, it will flow out. However, “prophesy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit,”2 Peter 1:21.
Preaching and teaching are pre-planned, but prophesy is not. It can operate anywhere.
Why is prophesy so important in the local church?
1. Prophesy is a sign of revival in the church – Acts 2:16-18.
2. It is good for everyone – 1 Corinthians 14:3.
3. Prophesy will show you your place in the body of Christ – Acts 13:1-3.
4. It will give you purpose and vision for life – Acts 9:15,16, Proverbs 29:18
5. Prophesy will give you direction for the local church – Acts 11:28-30.
“The woman said to Him, “Sir, I perceive that You are a prophet,” John 4:20. Always remember that Jesus Christ is the living prophet. He is the greatest prophet that ever lived.
When a word comes to you and you are not sure, ask for a confirmation. “For “the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets”. 1 Corinthians 14:23.
A prophesy can also come in the form of a vision and draw out another gift. For instance when you prophesy on healing, you may also receive the gift of healing.
“Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy,” 1 Corinthians 14:1.
Entire message available on CD and MP3